welcome

Welcome. This blog is my little home on the web. It's mostly about my favorite hobby, digital scrapbooking. You might also find some recipes, home decor projects, or parenting woes. But mostly digital scrapbooking.

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Cauliflower Patties

This is one of my favorite side dishes, especially if I've made my meat dish in the crock pot or in the oven. These patties cook on the stove top.



The recipe comes from a book called Quinoa for Families by Rena Patten. Here is the gist of it (with my own slight modifications)

  • Cook a medium sized cauliflower in boiling water until tender. I have always cut my cauliflower into pieces before cooking, but now that I take a closer look at the recipe, I see that she says to cook it first and then cut it into pieces.
  • Drain it, then mash it up.  I use my potato masher in the same pot in which I cooked it. Let it cool a little.
  • Mix the mashed cauliflower with the following:
  • 2-3 green onions, sliced
  • 2 beaten eggs
  • 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
  • A couple tablespoons of chopped parsley (tonight I substituted about 2 teaspoons of my own dried parsley)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt and a dash of pepper
  • 1/2 cup quinoa flour
  • Now fry them:
  • Pool oil in the bottom of a frying pan and heat it up (maybe medium high ... I start at a 7 and drop down if it seems too hot later). Drop in large spoonfuls (about a heaping 1/4 cup each) of cauliflower and flatten them out with the back of the spoon. I fit four patties in my pan at a time. When they are golden brown on one side, carefully flip them and brown the other side.
  • Transfer to paper towels and repeat.
  • Makes about 8-10 patties.
Even Miller will eat one of these patties (if properly motivated in a super positive matter). When the scientist and I eat them, we dip the bites into Grama's Sweet Chilli Sauce. So yummy!



I think I could eat a whole head of cauliflower prepared this way, but since the scientist can inhale them as fast as I can I've never been able to. Maybe some day. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment