welcome

Welcome. This blog is my little home on the web. It's mostly about my favorite hobby, digital scrapbooking. You might also find some recipes, home decor projects, or parenting woes. But mostly digital scrapbooking.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Cropped

I got cropped from the Cropped competition last week. The challenge was to use the four mystery items (stop sign, green word-art, stamp, dark ledger paper) in a layout that emphasized opposites or contrast. I love my layout, but I guess I went wrong in the contrast department. I attempted to show contrast in my pictures (small vs. large / color vs. black and white / pictures vs. negatives), but I guess that was too subtle. Live and learn!! I also had a fun play on words in the title work, with the words "positive" and "negative."

Cropped Round 3 Mystery Basket; Project: Live, Laugh, Love by Mommyish and Pink Reptile Designs
Torn Bits 5 by creashens; scallop clipping mask from Cropped Round 2 Freebie by Crystal Livesay
I originally did not intend to play along with Challenge 4, but as I went to bed on Sunday night after a long weekend with company, an idea popped into my head. The challenge was to use the mystery items (pie chart with labels, tag, paper with colorful rectangles, tape) and inspired by the theme "sea food." It didn't have to actually be sea food in the layout - the instructions offered an example of using lots of scallop shapes on a page (inspired by the food scallops).

Miller is really into sea creatures, so that was an obvious choice for me.  It was actually the pixelated design in the mystery basket paper that reminded me of a water color Miller made representing the color cells in a squid's skin. That was my inspiration for the layout, and I included a scan of his painting and an article about squid skin (from one of the scientist's journals). I also included journaling about sea creatures eating each other.

List Templates by Scrapping with Liz; Anchored Papers and Elements by Gennifer Bursett
Be, Summered and Lemon Squeezy by creashens; Cropped Round 4 Mystery Basket
Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment